Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Recipe: Rice porridge

Vman103-Productions
Website 

  I got into Real Food Wednesday today and wanted to add a recipe I had done this morning. It's not much, just some rice porridge with sprouted lentils. I also added pieces of mushroom, as well as green onions. Here is the recipe and how I made it.

Porridge

1/3 cup rice(I used Jasmine)
nearly 2 cups water
3/4 cup filtered water
some green onions
a handful of sprouted lentils
pieces of a portabella mushroom

Fish Plate

Some fish of some kind(I used Canadian wild caught perch)
Raw honey
Soy Sauce(I used Tamari soy sauce, brand name: San-J)
Powdered cayenne pepper

This is how I made the rice: I boiled some tap water and put the rice inside the pot and covered it with a lid for a few minutes. I then drained the rice, put it back inside with 3/4 cups filtered water, and boiled it. Then I let it simmer on low for a few minutes.

After that, I steamed the fish for several minutes, then fried it using virgin coconut oil just to make sure I cooked it thoroughly. I am not experienced using fish, really...The fish was basted with the honey and tamari sauce, and sprinkled with cayenne pepper powder.

I then stir-fried the green onions and mushroom. I never cooked the sprouted lentils. I just put them in the dish after it was finished.

As I finished the rice, I put in a little turmeric to turn the rice yellow. It was cheap, powdered turmeric from the store, but it may not be any worse than buying the beans that I sprouted. The mushrooms, I suspect, were freshly picked from some place in town. Why? Because the mushroom still had dirt on it, showing that it wasn't even washed of that sediment. But where it was picked I have no clue.

I got a report from the Monterey Bay Aquarium that guides you through the buying of fish, separating fish into three lists: best, good, and worst choices. They go by what's healthful and ecologically responsible.

The link above will tell you why sprouting beans is a good idea. Lentils are the easiest bean to sprout. It didn't take me long at all. Let's see...I think I started on Sunday or Monday. I read Cultures for Health to learn how to sprout lentils and now I have done it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All that is required is some basic decency—in other words, no name-calling, trolling, or volleying baseless insults. Good and bad reviews are both allowed. They merely need to be truthful and not contain gratuitous amounts of bad language.